SAVORY SUNDAY BREAKFAST
Sundays are our big breakfast days. The mornings are slow, the coffee is hot and the bed is always cozy. Now that the cooler temps are here to stay (except for today’s 80 degree high of course), getting out of bed can be even more difficult but a big, hearty breakfast is the best motivation to get my day going.
I typically make one item from scratch (biscuits, pancakes, scones) and then keep everything else simple. This way I can enjoy my morning and keep my sanity too :).
Up on today’s menu: turkey bacon, a fried egg and these delicious cheddar chive drop biscuits.
These biscuits are quick and don’t have a requirement to be pretty. Because we all know it’s on the inside that counts, right?
No rolling, no kneading, just whisking in a bowl, plopping onto a baking sheet and baking away. My kind of morning simplicity.
And don’t feel the need to save these just for breakfast! They’d be great as a side for dinner and even better dunked in soup – like my creamy tomato soup.
I hope that you are enjoying a peaceful Sunday yourself. Enjoy!
Cheddar Chive Drop Biscuits
3 tablespoon fresh chives
2 1/4 cup all purpose flour
2 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Add cubed butter and incorporate until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs; stir in cheese and chives. Add buttermilk and mix until moistened (do not over mix!)
- Using a tablespoon, place biscuit mixture onto a baking sheet lined with parchment about 2 inches apart.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.